Monday, April 2, 2012

CHAPTER 2:  Weblogs: Pedagogy and Practice


     Upon reading chapter 2, there is no doubt in my mind that the use if blogs in the classroom will definitely have a permanent place in the very near future (if not already).  It may be in its infancy at the moment, however, all grade levels seem to be moving towards this new genre of writing.  According to the author, blogs facilitate a new genre called "connective writing" (p. 28).   The author argues that this is a form of writing that encourages bloggers to read carefully and critically.  As I write this very blog, I find myself doing this very skill.
     As I am reading this book, I keep thinking of ways that I could execute weblogs in my high school special education resource room math class.  The superintendent of my school system has a strong vision of leasing ipads and providing every high school student and faculty member with one of these highly sought after devices.  However, the school committee in my town is split on the issue.  There are only two computer labs in my high school.  Each classroom is equipped with only one computer.  This one computer is hooked up to the smartboard and is mostly for teacher use.  I truly feel that more computers need to be made available in order for blogging to be consistently used in everyday instruction and assignments.  I do feel that it is moving in that direction, however painstakenly slow it might be!  We currently have a grading system called x2.  This program allows teachers to create a "page" (essentially a weblog).  On this page, students can reference assignments and submit them.  They can also make comments, etc.  In addition, students and parents can access a portal in which they can see their grades.  Sometimes I think back to when I was in high school, and I think of how I may not have liked it if my parents always had access to every single grade that I received!  In certain respects todays students don't always have it so easy!
     At a recent training, the faculty at my high school learned about a site called Edmodo.  This site resembles facebook, and is a secure social networking tool for teachers and students.  Check it out: edmodo.com .  After all the trainings and readings I have done, I am not sure that I am 100% ready yet to take on the extra responsibilities that may come with social networking and/or blogging in the classroom.  I am sure that many kinks will need to be worked out and also many unforseen problems may arise.  I feel as though I need more trainings to fully wrap my head around classroom management, and user agreements, etc.  Nevertheless, I do think that blogging has a lot of potential in the classroom, and will motivate this generation of digital learners!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel,

    I checked out edmodo.com. It seems very similar to Its Learning, which is an online platform that we teachers in Franklin are required to use. Its Learning is a resource to create online lessons for students. Students can also submit assignments, have discussions, and take quizzes. The web address is https://www.itslearning.com/.

    ReplyDelete