Sunday, April 22, 2012

CHAPTER 8:  PODCASTING, VIDEO AND SCREENCASTING, AND LIVE STREAMING:  Multimedia Publishing for the Masses

     This chapter provided just the framework I was looking for in regards to using video and screencasting to show a mathematical process.  As you can tell, I have found the video and screencasting topic to be the most practical for my classroom.  Many of my students have attentional, organizational, and short-term memory difficulties.  Sometimes my students get home and try to complete their homework only to find that they have no idea what their notes mean because they weren't really paying attention when they copied them.  Perhaps they are missing parts of their notes or they forgot to bring their math binder home altogether.  Posting a video and screencast of the daily lesson to my blog or wiki could really help these students out.  At the very least, it would be one less excuse they could have for not completing their homework! 
     I guess I have my homework cut out for me!  I am going to check jingproject.com out to try and start screencasting!  There are many mathematical videos on khanacademy.org  however, some of these videos do not teach certain mathematical concepts the same way that I do.  My students become very familiar with my style, use of prompts, acronyms, mneumonics and steps and procedures.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that having screencasts readly available to students will help them review, as well as catch up when they are absent. I have visited khansacademy before and found that some videos are good. I have been thinking of flipping my classroom, which is having students view the videos before they come to class, so they have already previewed the material and can have their second exposure in class. Have you ever done this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that sreencasting is an excellent way of sharing information with students. I would like to have students produce screencasts on different topics in chemistry. Students can view these screencasts as a supplement to the textbook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also find the concept of using screencasts as a place for students to go to review the days lesson a great idea. I would like to learn more about this and see how I can incorporate it into my 6th grade ELA class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am interested in using screencasts in my work as well. Rachel's idea about "flipping" when she is going to use this tool really resonated with me. I love the idea of my students previewing what we are going to be working on in class. This would be especially helpful for many of my anxious students. Having had a chance to preview the material and activities they may be more comfortable and apt to participate. Screencasts will work well for preview and review and will always be at their fingertips to watch (I envision several of my students watching these screencasts multiple times to "master" what is being asked of them) It will also allow the parents a window into the classroom and the work we are doing.

    ReplyDelete